Discussion: Bacterial Vaginosis
In your initial post, answer all the questions and provide rationales for your answers with supporting evidence using APA formatting, integrate two evidence-based resources to include clinical practice guidelines as well as the course textbook.
Read the scenario and answer the following questions:
R.S. is a 32-year-old white woman who seeks treatment for a vaginal discharge that she has had for the past month. She is sexually active and has had the same partner for the past 6 months. She reports noticing odor, especially after sexual intercourse. Her history reveals that she has been using a commercial douche on a bi-weekly basis during the past year for hygienic purposes in an attempt to prevent vaginal infections, She denies any other associated symptoms.
The physical examination reveals a white vaginal discharge. Microscopic examination of the vaginal discharge shows clue cells, and the pH is 5.5
Diagnosis: Bacterial Vaginosis
- Lis specific goals of treatment for this patient
- What drug therapy would you prescribe? Why?
- What are the parameters for monitoring the success of the therapy?
- Discuss specific patient education based on the prescribed therapy.
- List one or two adverse reactions for the selected agent that would cause you to change therapy.
- What would be the choice for the second-line therapy? Provide rationale
- What OTC or alternative medications would be appropriate for this patient?
Your response should be in a well-developed paragraph (300-350 words) integrating an evidence-based resource that is different than the one you used for the initial post.
Respectfully agree and disagree with your peers’ responses and explain your reasoning by including your rationales in your explanation.
Please refer to the grading rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
The described expectations meet the passing level of 80%. Students are directed to review the discussion grading rubric for criteria which exceed expectations.